Love of the Game and Hacking Health UK proudly hosted a ‘Hakathon’ the weekend of the 26th-28th March. Teams focused on the Prevention, Diagnosis, Treatment of head injuries and concussion in sports.
On the Friday, attendees were welcomed, and we heard from Simon Shaw MBE, Love of the Game Campaign President and Former International Rugby Player, about the impact of head injuries to those around him and the impact he has also felt himself. Afterwards, challenges were revealed, and teams were allocated ready for a busy weekend of hacking!
Throughout the ‘Hakathon’ teams had the opportunity to participant in various workshops including a design thinking session, a meditation energiser and a user experience workshop. Teams also had access to wonderful Mentors with a wide range of expertise. On the Friday afternoon, Teams got ready to pitch their ideas to judges and winners/runners-up were revealed in each category. There were 6 prize categories in total including ‘Best Prevention Solution’ and ‘Best Solution focused’.
We’d like to say a huge Congratulations to all the winners and runners-up. It’s been an absolutely pleasure seeing people’s ideas develop and all teams came up with a fantastic solution. Category winners will be awarded £1000 per team and runners-up of each category will also receive £500. Winning teams will also receive 6 months of post-event mentoring support (from industry experts). We can’t wait to be working with you all to help develop your amazing ideas.
Furthermore, the Hakathon gave attendees a platform to flex their skills, develop new ones and grow their network. The event has also helped shed light on the importance of concussion and head injuries in sports and our Teams will be contributing to making a difference!
It’s been a fantastic weekend and thank you to each and every one of you that came and helped out!
To find out more about Love of the Game campaign see www.loveofthegame.org
The following teams were recognised by the judges as having winning ideas and really potential:
- Best Prevention Solution: Apply Brain, a mobile app for female athletes to educate them on their bodies and concussion while allowing coaches to monitor their symptoms of concussion and concussion recovery.
- Best Diagnosis and/or Grading Solution: SIRIUS Stretchers, a smart stretcher for rapid on-field diagnosis and treatment.
- Best Solution focused on Young People in Sport: Helm@, an app and sensor-based data collection tool for teens to learn how to skateboard and other sports in future.
- Best Treatment Solution: HBOT, a large objective-blinded study to assess whether Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy can act as an intervention to improve and speed up receive from concussive event in sports.
- Best Solution for Women / People’s Choice: FIERCE, a smart headband that aims to improve athletes head health and protect against concussions. Crucially, it is also desirable and comfortable to wear.
Check out the highlights video below.